Default Graphics, Yes or NO!

I think the people on this forum are in two camps with regards to graphics.

In one way, graphics can make a site and then for some pages, it can lower conversions.

So the question is, should you add graphics to a website?
    I reckon the answer is a definite "Yes".

First, It prompts readers to read on by giving them eye candy and makes a website feel more "lived in" then an empty shell.
    Be it a small image of the products offered or just a snap of the team behind the success of a company, it can completely change the appearance of a website. Adding graphics will not only make the site attractive but can also increase conversions in many instances.

However, if you're preaching to marketers, they already know and expect graphics on a page.

So if you are offering something on an ugly page, subconsciously, they think "hey, this is not a marketer and yet he has a good sales page, which means the product must be good".

This is the reason why so many squeeze pages have converted better without fancy graphics than those with images.

If you are going to add a graphical element to your website, you'll need some knowledge of any photo editing software.
    If you are using a common image from the web, you need to download the image, edit it for your site and simply uploaded it.

But I don't want you to hang me just yet coz here's the disclaimer: If you are downloading any graphical content from a webpage to use on your site, make sure that the content is not protected by copyright laws.

On the other hand, if you are using your own unique graphical content, get it watermarked or copyrighted to avoid any unauthenticated use of it.

While making graphics for a webpage, you should also pay due attention to the color scheme of the site and the image.

Hope this helps,

JH

I think everyone knows this by now

Good post, it is a good idea indeed.

I try to use minimal graphics