Default Heard of celebrety domain name being sold for millions...?

I heard of one celebrities domain being expired and someone immediately picked up that domain and sold it for millions to the same celebrity..have you heard this? i just don't remember the name of the celebrity......

john is offline Senior Member I was here more times.

Default Re: Heard of celebrety domain name being sold for millions..

Quote Originally Posted by alensot
    I heard of one celebrities domain being expired and someone immediately picked up that domain and sold it for millions to the same celebrity..have you heard this? i just don't remember the name of the celebrity......
    it is amazing but now a days it is very risky to take such domains because some celebrity makes their name as brand value and you may be in problem if you will book it.

Quote Originally Posted by john
    it is amazing but now a days it is very risky to take such domains because some celebrity makes their name as brand value and you may be in problem if you will book it.
    How come i will be in problem if it is available..! anyone can book any domain as it is for worldwide people and if some celebrity forgets to renew it, it is their problem but a chance for others to make money here....!

How come i will be in problem if it is available..! anyone can book any domain as it is for worldwide people and if some celebrity forgets to renew it, it is their problem but a chance for others to make money here....!
    ya you dont have any fault but this is the problem with domain booking .people only book domain while it becomes available but there is a hidden rule that you can't buy any brand value.

ya you dont have any fault but this is the problem with domain booking .people only book domain while it becomes available but there is a hidden rule that you can't buy any brand value.
    You mean to say that we cannot buy brand name domains..! then how come this celebraties domain got booked and sold for millions then..! how did he manage booking that particular domain as soon as it got expired...!!

You mean to say that we cannot buy brand name domains..! then how come this celebraties domain got booked and sold for millions then..! how did he manage booking that particular domain as soon as it got expired...!!
    well may be that celebrity has not booked or registered his/her name as a brand name so no problem.

Well i think we can book such domains but sometimes it is risky to register such domains as there may be some celebrity who can go down at any time and you will loose money with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowking
    Well i think we can book such domains but sometimes it is risky to register such domains as there may be some celebrity who can go down at any time and you will loose money with it.
    What do you mean by celebrity going down at any moment..! if you meant celebrity losing his/her famous status, that is not a major concern as for booking we are not paying huge...it's just small booking fee

What do you mean by celebrity going down at any moment..! if you meant celebrity losing his/her famous status, that is not a major concern as for booking we are not paying huge...it's just small booking fee
    I think she means if any actress became less popular nobody may buy the domain you already booked.

alec11 is offline Veteran Member I was here more times.

I don't think we can do this as many celebrity fill suit case to the owner of domain name with their name.
    Name is like copyright and it's very privacy.
    Anyway, there 1 case I remember, J lo (Jeniffer Lopez) win domain name lawsuit.
    You can read the article here : http://www.okmagazine.com/posts/view/13275/

Quote Originally Posted by alec11
    I don't think we can do this as many celebrity fill suit case to the owner of domain name with their name.
    Any name can be many and if their domain is expired already, then any other on ecan claim that and i don't think any law can stop that as it is expired and taken legally

alec11 is offline Veteran Member I was here more times.

Quote Originally Posted by alec11
    Any name can be many and if their domain is expired already, then any other on ecan claim that and i don't think any law can stop that as it is expired and taken legally
    have you read the article alensot?
    If you haven't, then you should read the article, just check the first sentence.

It's weird for you to say that if you already read the article.
    It's clearly said that some company already register a domain name under jeniffer lopez name, but the real J Lo issued a law suit because name is like copyright, etc, and she won that lawsuit.

Come on, don't just posting here, sometimes you should read.

tom is offline Master Member I was here more times.

It is really bad domain registrar companies or WOIP should made rule that if some body thinks his/her name is copy righted he she should book all domains in his/her name why to leave blank and all innocent people will be in problem ,suppose i'm an Indian and i will book a domain about some thing but that is a reputed company of china which i dont know then i'll be problem ,it is really disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    It is really bad domain registrar companies or WOIP should made rule that if some body thinks his/her name is copy righted he she should book all domains in his/her name why to leave blank and all innocent people will be in problem ,suppose i'm an Indian and i will book a domain about some thing but that is a reputed company of china which i dont know then i'll be problem ,it is really disgusting.
    Yes, it's really bad as we won't be knwoing this copy righted names and some options should be there whiel registering such domains or we shouldn't get any registering option for such domains isn't it?
    Yes, Alec i have read the article now and it's really strange thing and now i need to study a lot regarding these copy righted things now...

well, you know that most celebrities are crazy and egoistic.
    Anyway, if someone made a domain name with your full name and then use it as illegal site, what would you do?

Well if i makes a website on some blog community then does it applies the same.I mean say like nokia.blogspot.com.Does it can provide some legal issues there.

Yes, it might. Even though registering a company name does not prevent others from using it , using the name alone can result in law suits if the company is a big one......

Well if i makes a website on some blog community then does it applies the same.I mean say like nokia.blogspot.com.Does it can provide some legal issues there.
    if you use that site for commercial use for your personal, then I think it's gonna be a problem.
    But if you just use for un-official site or info for nokia phone, then I think it's okay

Quote Originally Posted by master
    well, you know that most celebrities are crazy and egoistic.
    Anyway, if someone made a domain name with your full name and then use it as illegal site, what would you do?
    The fact is if some body is really interetsed for his/her domain then they should book it by their name why they are not bookig and one person will not chcek everytime he will book a domain whether it is a copy righted name or not ,it is not with name only suppose a domain is there in the name of mylot.com and mylot.info available then why we can't take that?

reading out all these threads, its really nice to know so many facts about celebrity domain bookings and how they maintain it..!