Default Colocation web hosting

Can anybody on this forum explain to me what is Colocation web hosting. Please help me as i don't understand it myself

tom is offline Master Member I was here more times.

what i know A colocation centre (collocation center) is a type of data centre where multiple customers locate network, server and storage gear and interconnect to a variety of telecommunications and other network service provider(s) with a minimum of cost and complexity.

I have come across many types of web hosting like dedicated, share, but first time I'm hearing about this collocation hosting. I will be glad if someone explains it to me with simple language. The tom excerpt is very complicated to understand.

Well i think its the hosting where more than one type of features get assembled.Also it is commonly used by industrial purpose.Especially if you need your own personal network of various offices.

You have put in a nice new word here as i have never heard about this type of hosting even after ebing in web development for almost 5 years

well,i know that Colocation (sometimes spelled "co-location" or "collocation") is the provision of space for a customer's telecommunications equipment on the service provider's premises. For example, a Web site owner could place the site's own computer server on the premises of the Internet service provider (Internet service provider).

and web hosting is means ISP(internet service provider)

Quote Originally Posted by easy08
    well,i know that Colocation (sometimes spelled "co-location" or "collocation") is the provision of space for a customer's telecommunications equipment on the service provider's premises. For example, a Web site owner could place the site's own computer server on the premises of the Internet service provider (Internet service provider).

Well, even after reading so many posts I'm not able to understand this colocation hosting. It seems very complicated one. May I know which kind of websites usually go for colocation hosting? And are they very costly?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon_1800
    Quote Originally Posted by easy08

Well, even after reading so many posts I'm not able to understand this colocation hosting. It seems very complicated one. May I know which kind of websites usually go for colocation hosting? And are they very costly?
    Well i will try to use the easy way to explains colocation hosting. For example if you have a server where your application software is located in your company server room, but your boss worry about theft of data or people hacking or even fire in the server room. Then, the solution is hosted the application software and server outside your company office into a secure data server located in other company. This is what we call colocation hosting, where we host application or even our server in other data company where they have secure services like 24 hours CCTV monitoring in the server room.