Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do game sites make money?

I've seen a lot of game sites on the web stay on for years... and to maintain them, they've got to be earning money for the hosting. So how do they earn money??? They just receive them from donations?

Plenty of game sites over there. Can you be specific what kind of game it is? If it is a MMORPG they get money from advertisers and also upgrade or buying items. If it is flash arcade games they get money from advertisers and donations.

Browser-based text games. Simple ones that even one-man staff can handle like HoboWars, mafia games and pimp games. They have tons of members and are able to maintain their sites... how much do they make and how? :?

For how much i don't know, but they get their money from advertisers. You can see if you walk in the game the frame load ads (browser-based text games usually use adbrite like this url : http://ads.adbrite.com/????????) and also from members buying upgrade/membership.

Adbrite? Could you please explain how that works? I'd like to learn how to become a PHP programmer who makes browser-based games and I need these background information before diving in.

Default Re: How do game sites make money?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDefier
    I've seen a lot of game sites on the web stay on for years... and to maintain them, they've got to be earning money for the hosting. So how do they earn money??? They just receive them from donations?
    woow... but who in this world would donate free money to anyone?
    can we also try this tactic out to earn money freely?

Actually, the donations are often given benefits like 'supporter status' which grant extra features to the buyers. Like more power or something

I think there are php scripts for this kind of game sold on internet, do search on google if you are interested in buying the script. I think you just insert your adbrite code in it and then it will work by itself. I can't afford to buy the script. But if you want to get free basic script to learn and develop itself try this link: http://www.chipmunk-scripts.com/page.php?ID=16

Thanks for sharing the Kill Monster script! Is it hard to develop that into a complex game in a month's time? I'm willing to put in that much effort... do you any other scripts? Paid scripts?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDefier
    Thanks for sharing the Kill Monster script! Is it hard to develop that into a complex game in a month's time? I'm willing to put in that much effort... do you any other scripts? Paid scripts?
    hey what do you mean by paid scripts?
    how exactly do you use them to earn money?

To expand the script capability is up to your expertise in programming. Price of paid script for browser based mmorpg like piratetheworld will be around $250 - $500. I read in some forums but they all really old thread so i don't suppose it is valid now. BTW i wish you good luck in trying to make MMORPG.

$500??? Woah! That's too high... do you any decent scripts that are sold for less, like around $100?

I think decent scripts for mmorpg will be priced quite highly. I suggest you seek a free open source mmorpg script. You can browse in sites like sourceforge.net for free open source script there.

Free scripts need to be adjusted... and I'm not after MMORPG scripts... just simple game scripts like www.cyberdunk.com. It's a simple browser-based game...

free scripts are useful only if you have a site and you can earn out of it...
    i am dependent on other sites to earn my money...

Well... try googling browser-based script free download... i think you will find many of it. Like this one maybe : http://www.findmysoft.com/scripts/Vi...-download.html

Wow, that's a nice script. Thanks for that!

I was wondering now... what would be better? To request a coder to make a new script for you or to buy an exclusive script already on the market???

I think if you can afford to hire programmers to make a new script it will be better than buying exclusive script since you can have freedom in creating your own game if you hire programmer to do that. But if you already proficient with coding you can always edit the existing script or even build it from scratch and that will be even better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by akulho
    I think if you can afford to hire programmers to make a new script it will be better than buying exclusive script since you can have freedom in creating your own game if you hire programmer to do that. But if you already proficient with coding you can always edit the existing script or even build it from scratch and that will be even better for you.
    yah akulho you are right. Whole day we can sit o computer. So why cant we start learning some cripting language to code the site. that will save us lot of money isnt it?

Well not all of us can stay at the computer all day. Like me :cry: . I only have around 3 hours of computer a day...