Default What is a fire wall?

One of the method to safeguard our computers from hackers is using anti-virus. I have also heard that the other method is firewall. So whats this firewall and how to download it. Are there any other method of protecting the computers from hackers?

Wrong place to ask this. The proper place to have placed this topic would have been the 'Webmaster newbie help' section.

Anyways though, a firewall is a computer's internet security mechanism. It protects your computer from attacks while logged onto the internet. Every computer should at least have one and must always be active!

Searched around, you could try this free firewall if you'd rather not pay for one http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/.

Most OS (Operating Systems) come built in with one though. My Vista had one come with it.

Good luck with protecting your comp! Hope this helped

Thanks for the advice. I did download Comodo Firewall Pro and hope my computer will be safe from spyware.

Just wanted to add : Firewalls won't DELETE your spyware/viruses. They only protect from future attacks and possible current ones that are initiated by online means. Offline viruses which are in your software already need to be quarantined using Anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. programs.

Good luck and stay safe!

Firewall is Anti-virus,Anti-spyware internet system.You usually have to pay for it.Just like any other anti-virus system.It protects your computer fom harmful damages from the internet.Its actually a really good thing** :twisted:

firewall might be good but it also might proof to be annoying, especially if u are a person that always download / play online games.

alec11 is offline Veteran Member I was here more times.

There are many free firewall software / freeware out there.
    I use Kaspersky firewall, and it is good to block ads.

windows comes with build in firewall when you install the win xp or win vista versoins.

well it is really good to learn that my xp has a built in windows already with it. i am happy to use my windows xp.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDefier
    Wrong place to ask this. The proper place to have placed this topic would have been the 'Webmaster newbie help' section.

Anyways though, a firewall is a computer's internet security mechanism. It protects your computer from attacks while logged onto the internet. Every computer should at least have one and must always be active!

Searched around, you could try this free firewall if you'd rather not pay for one http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/.

Most OS (Operating Systems) come built in with one though. My Vista had one come with it.

Good luck with protecting your comp! Hope this helped

wow! very nice informations about fire wall. Its very good to know these things. Thanks for sharing with us.

I know that I have a firewall in my computer, I tried it once but I understood that then it is difficult to use so many programms and sites, probably settings were wrongs, but I refused from that.
    Join and receive your first 6$ Hidden Content

Default good

Its always good to have firewall and most of the systems have firewals but its always better to have one more which is capable of updating regularly which helps system from harmful viruses

Default it helps

It helps in safe guarding the computers from malicious softwares and keep the computer safe but third party firewalls are required as well

Firewall main functions is to prevents unauthorised hacking and instrusion to our computer through the unopened computer port. Many hacker like to scan open ports and attack through it. If we have firewall, we can set all the port is not allowed only certain program port that we knows is open. This will prevents many problems.

tom is offline Master Member I was here more times.

A system designed to prevent unauthorized access to or from a private network. Firewalls can be implemented in both hardware and software, or a combination of both. Firewalls are frequently used to prevent unauthorized Internet users from accessing private networks connected to the Internet, especially intranets. All messages entering or leaving the intranet pass through the firewall, which examines each message and blocks those that do not meet the specified security criteria

You don't need to install any Firewalls if you use Windows XP or higher operating system. They have a built in Firewall. Anyway if you expect a better protection you can select a new Firewall and install it. There are several commercial Firewall products are available which you can use at your convenience.

But you have to consider whether it wills suit you or not. Because they may further slow down your computer.

Absolutely firewall acts as a protection system preventing any viruses or related programs attacking your PC. It filters all the data comes to your PC through the Firewall so viruses can't attack your PC.

firewall is something which blocks unknown programs access the internet.

ask wikipedia ^^ lol