Default Is lenux web hosting cheaper than windows hosting?

Window's hosting is the most commonly used hosting, but i heard lenux hosting is cheaper than window's hosting..is it true?

maybe some window's hosting is more expensive than linux hosting.but i have heard some linux hosting is very dear also.and it is not cheaper than window's hosting.and i have heard linux hosting is used better than window's host.lol~

Could you pl tell me what is the difference between the two? The websites which we are viewing usually, are they all window hosting? Pl suggest some website which have linux hosting, so that I could compare the two. How do you know which one is window hosting and which one is of linux hosting?

Many questions are there, sorry for that.

alec11 is offline Veteran Member I was here more times.

yes, linux hosting is cheaper, but I don't know the difference between them.
    I just know the layout is different, don't know if the system is different.

Quote Originally Posted by alec11
    yes, linux hosting is cheaper, but I don't know the difference between them.
    I just know the layout is different, don't know if the system is different.
    Yes, i have also heard that Linux hosting is cheaper than window's and also Linux is for more security and little bit tougher than windows

Quote Originally Posted by ssarkar
    Could you pl tell me what is the difference between the two? The websites which we are viewing usually, are they all window hosting? Pl suggest some website which have linux hosting, so that I could compare the two. How do you know which one is window hosting and which one is of linux hosting?

Definitely Linux hosting is cheaper than windows hosting. The different between them is the server that hosting our files, which OS they are. For windows hosting ther server is running on windows OS, and support those windows based databse like Microsoft SQL and ASP coding, and for linux hosting, OS is linux, so it is supportting mysql and those PHP coding.

Friends, today I confirmed Linux hosting is cheaper than windows hosting. You can check this hosting website, here for linux hosting, the price is $6.95, and for windows hosting, $9.95, though it has the same features.

http://www.hostnine.com/web-hosting/

Finally, I wonder why the price difference. Is windows hosting better or safer than linux hosting, so its price is costly?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon_1800
    Friends, today I confirmed Linux hosting is cheaper than windows hosting. You can check this hosting website, here for linux hosting, the price is $6.95, and for windows hosting, $9.95, though it has the same features.

http://www.hostnine.com/web-hosting/

Finally, I wonder why the price difference. Is windows hosting better or safer than linux hosting, so its price is costly?
    It is definitely windows hosting is more expensive than linux hosting, because each user login to windows server need to purchase CAL license, while linux server is freeware, no license to be paid, thats why the hosting company will charge higher price for windows hosting than linux hosting.

It is definitely windows hosting is more expensive than linux hosting, because each user login to windows server need to purchase CAL license, while linux server is freeware, no license to be paid, thats why the hosting company will charge higher price for windows hosting than linux hosting.
    Well, do you mean those people who want to sign up need to have that CAL license? Or do you mean the webhosting company needs to have CAL license for using windows server?

Well, do you mean those people who want to sign up need to have that CAL license? Or do you mean the webhosting company needs to have CAL license for using windows server?
    I never heard of CAL licence till now as have also developed so many web sites and hosted in windows server

Well most free josting are linux hosting and i think they are good one too.They can manage load much easily than windows but still windows allows more compatibility.

I means the hosting company need to pay for CAL license not the user like us. CAL is stand for client access license as each login to a windows to pay license as stated in the license usage of windows server agreements. Hope it clear your doubts.

Default REPLY!

And you meant linux and not lenux! Well its cheap compared to windows for same plan!
    Linux being an open source does not need any commercial purchase of software, Apache being cheap and mysql enterprise for $500 per year is cheap! Rather windows would cost u a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by eddielkk
    Quote Originally Posted by ssarkar

Definitely Linux hosting is cheaper than windows hosting. The different between them is the server that hosting our files, which OS they are. For windows hosting ther server is running on windows OS, and support those windows based databse like Microsoft SQL and ASP coding, and for linux hosting, OS is linux, so it is supportting mysql and those PHP coding.
    Yes, in window's hosting ASP can be used for server side scripting which is not supported in Linux for which we have to use only PHP and not ASP

Quote Originally Posted by alensot View Post
    Window's hosting is the most commonly used hosting, but i heard lenux hosting is cheaper than window's hosting..is it true?
    For shared its almost the same,.... but for reseller it might differ,which means that linux will be cheaper than windows.

Yeah, Linux web hosting is cheaper than windows hosting.
    Over 95% of application can be running on Linux, but such application as ASP can be running only on Windows.