Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tom is offline Master Member I was here more times.

Default why differences in domain names?

Hi all ,i have seen differences in price according to domain name?like info domain is less priced compared to .com or others why is so?who decides actually this thing.

I think popular domain names have more price than info like domain names.and domain name differes from organisation to organisation and country to country.

Quote Originally Posted by satyakam
    I think popular domain names have more price than info like domain names.and domain name differes from organisation to organisation and country to country.
    you are right,in some English speaking countries the we can guess the basic type of the site.
    but in some other countries the domain will just be of no meanings at the first sight.

Default Re: why differences in domain names?

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Hi all ,i have seen differences in price according to domain name?like info domain is less priced compared to .com or others why is so?who decides actually this thing.
    yes,because .com is more popular than info.and .com is better than info.if you want to make a website.i advice you should offer a .com domain.

alec11 is offline Veteran Member I was here more times.

yes, popularity is the one that makes difference with the price of each domain tld.
    But unique domain tld makes difference too, look at .tv, it's expensive than .com

Actually different types of domain extensions were made for different purpose like com for commercial ,biz for business,net for net work etc but some people dont take it seriously and take .com as general and even they hate others domain .

well who decides i really do not know but everybody here knows that .com domains are more famous and is more costlier than any, may be because they were launched first...... that would be the reason for .com being costlier

I think there must have a global domain registration company that holding all database before creating the domain names for others, they must have set a standard and pricing range for different extension, for new extension .info is lower price, and for local domain to a specific country may be more expensive as the local authority may incurred extra charges on that too.

alec11 is offline Veteran Member I was here more times.

Quote Originally Posted by eddielkk
    I think there must have a global domain registration company that holding all database before creating the domain names for others, they must have set a standard and pricing range for different extension, for new extension .info is lower price, and for local domain to a specific country may be more expensive as the local authority may incurred extra charges on that too.
    yes, there's a database for that, a company that keep an eye on domain activity, called ICANN.
    All new extension must be approved by them.

Quote Originally Posted by alec11
    Quote Originally Posted by eddielkk
    yes, there's a database for that, a company that keep an eye on domain activity, called ICANN.
    All new extension must be approved by them.
    Thanks for letting me knows there are a global organization that handling those domain registration process. I have learn something new today. I only knows that in my country there is another company that handling all domain registration for my country, it is MYNIC.

Actually each domain extension indicate something as .com suggests commercial website, but people who have a website never go accordingly and the website extension which are more popular like .com will cost more

Quote Originally Posted by alensot
    Actually each domain extension indicate something as .com suggests commercial website, but people who have a website never go accordingly and the website extension which are more popular like .com will cost more
    .com domain didn't cost more than other domain like .org, .net and others. It is not means by the domain in popular then cost more, the costing is fixed for some extension, and for some local domain like .com.us will cost even more than .com due to the local governement may charges extra charges on the domain.

Here is some info I found about different costs of different domains. might help although they does not say to whom the registrar have to pay the fees.

www.igoldrush.com/buy5.htm

The demand of .com domains is much more than .info since .com is still more popular for us, when people do search they will first try those sites with .com names instead of .info. Nowadays, we can find .org, .net etc. But I still think that getting .com names would be better.

if we use top domain we can get good traffic from that, we can choose domain names that related with our blog topics and we can friendly with search engime, so domain names is important

there are levels of domains..top level,middle level & low level..
    this might decide their pricing i think.
    .com comes in top level & even .net,
    so they are very popular.

.com is more popular
    so obviously costlier
    atleast i think so

you are right,in some English speaking countries the we can guess the basic type of the site.
    but in some other countries the domain will just be of no meanings at the first sight

There is no denying the fact that you will have nice advantages having .COM domain..
    Your domain should be Catchy, Short and memorable.

Actually you can use any domain name extension you like. But you need to remember about your visitors and that is recommended to make their life easier in order to remember your web site.